Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What If...

When I was in the final year of Mechanical Engineering in Belgaum, we had a very crazy class, bursting with ides for the final year project. As much as everyone was excited about their ideas, no matter how imaginary or out of reach, either technically or physically, only one thing held us back, FINANCE. We as students of an engineering background, were always broke. Except the elite few ‘born with a silver spoon in their mouth’ types, we had either very little or no money at any given point of time. Hence, even if we as students had ideas, could not materialize them. The projects thus done on a shoestring budget were by far… modest to say the most.

Now after working in my core industry for about two years, I assume I have gained some leverage in terms of thought, finance and experience, not enough but more than I had when I needed nevertheless. I wanted to sincerely use this leverage for the benefit of fellow juniors at least for their projects which in highest probability remain their only satisfactory mark of achievement of life. I talk of those who have the zest and excitement enough to fall and face failure and not those who want to marinate in the fat that its their final year and hence are supposed to buy out their projects from somebody.

Now, all that talk may seem totally idealistic n all but, I was subjected to a whole new level of enthusiasm when my little sister asked me to help her make a rocket. Yeah, you heard it right, a working rocket. The one which will blast off to the skies once activated and that too on a calculated path.

I am certainly not one of the jehadi clan or something but to do something of this magnitude is perplexing to say the least. Imagine what if the legally concerned get a whiff of the activities and think of the obvious? Imagine the repercussions….
You will even have a clamp on academic and creative thinking abilities.

Now, am I supposed to change the project which if executed will be the envy of every kid in her college?

No comments: