Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Am I a FAILURE?

After reading the morning newspaper, I realized CAT results were declared. Sadly, their servers crashed and i got my results through SMS. 87 percentile cant be that bad, I thought, yes they were a bit below the standard set in my community averaging 91 and hence I was below average but its ok.. I kept telling myself. There are quite a few good colleges who accept that score but not those of my area of interest. I wanted a diversion from 'Female Starved' Mech engg co to the other type- A Media company. Well, there's always the next time.

We are a bunch of few guys in my locality... not all of them whom i can call as friends but, we all socialize together in the evenings, hangout, play and do all casual stuff... Also many of them had appeared for the CAT and naturally we were discussing the outcome... two got 97-98, some of us got 86-90 other four got 91-93, the highest being 98.1. Us, the back benchers (most of whom i can actually call as friends) were having our level of discussion, y'know the 'We got a low percentile and hence which colleges we applied were a waste.' type and those above the average level were having their type of discussion. Barring some 4-5 guys, none of the rest were nerdy types. Naturally the one who got the highest was snobbing off.. Many were in awe.. he was after all among the coveted best 3% of INDIAN population. Well, the air of success and satisfaction was evident and we all settled down for a cuppa coffee nearby. Then the topper sat with us (which is an exception, he never tags along with us) and started his ga-ga about all those colleges he'd applied for will be accepted and blah blah... Then came a startler, he sympathized about our results and thats where i tipped.
The rest is not important but, its guys like him that make the institute he's getting admitted to, abhorred by me. I hate such guys and they are typically found in high-rise institutes where nerds get loozened up and achieve greatness. I am wrong, I know but putting up with such types is next to impossible, thats why i want a creative exposure in media (the aforementioned reason still holds true). Well, thats different.

Ever had a life where you have to put up with pessimistic parents every day? I am a rebel, i know and want to lead my own path. Wanted to get into a company of my fantasies and got into it.. left it, not cause i realized my fantasies were wrong but cuz of official reasons like HR and stuff... y'know all that. Then, i got into a mediocre co.. An unknown co... e.g. The earlier was the best in engineering in the country with a turnover of over 10,000 crores and the present has its turnover of over 100 crores. I joined not cause i was humiliated to join it but, it was a stone-throw distance form my residence. The pay is good too also is the environment, I get time to try out all that i wanted to but couldn't cause time was hard to find. I am in content buy my friends and parents are not... I am currently single also due to the same reason. I know, the society differentiates on not what you are but which co you go to... I can understand outsiders but my parents.. they should had understood my POV. I mean I get to play football after work.. almost daily and i am happier than earlier days but parents... they as always oppose it. They want their son to have that TAG... no matter if their son is getting a brain hemorrhage over there but the TAG is important.
Its funny in a certain sense that you realize the society out of your perspective. the way they treat you.. a first-hand experience.

No comments: